Wastewater Facts and Figures
Here are some things you may not have known about wastewater:
- The Plant serves a population of 148,000 people in Sunnyvale, Rancho Rinconada and Moffett Field.
- The Plant occupies 16.6 acres at 1444 Borregas Ave. and maintains an additional 440 acres of oxidation ponds.
- The Plant has been in continuous, 24/7 operation since 1956.
- It is one of the oldest treatment plants on the west coast.
- The Plant is governed by major regulatory agencies including:
- The California Regional Quality Control Board (CRQCB)
- The National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)
- The Plant treated average flows (dry weather) of 11.9 million gallons per day (MGD) in 2016.
- The City hopes to increase recycled water production from 1.3 million MGD in 2015 to 3.6 million MGD by 2035.